Skip to main content

September '16 Books, Part 3 of 4




Ghost by Jason Reynolds (Juvenile, Fiction)
There is a subset of children’s books referred to as high-low readers -- high for high interest and low for low reading level. These books used to bug me a great deal. The first ones I encountered were trashy novels that all had black or Hispanic protagonists. I was angry not only at the implicit racism but at the poor writing. Ghost, the first in a planned four-book series about a middle-grade track team, was described to me as a high-low reader, so I was expecting bad things. Happily, it’s a great book and I’d gladly recommend it. Castle Crenshaw, aka Ghost, has been running ever since his father threatened him and his mom with a gun. He knew he was fast, but didn’t know he could use that speed to compete on a local track team.  Ghost is an appealing character with a lot of heart and a lot to learn. ClichĂ©? Maybe. And that’s probably why I gave the book three stars, rather than four.  Still, I think many middle graders will enjoy reading this book – the pace is fast; the story is good; and yes, it’s an easy read (plot- and vocabulary-wise not necessarily content-wise). By the way, I’ve since come to find many, many high-low reading lists that contain a wide variety of protagonists and I can ignore the trashy books that were seemingly churned out on some book mill.

Closed Casket by Sophie Hannah (Adult, Fiction, Mystery)
This is the second novel by Sophie Hannah to feature Hercule Poirot. Hannah was granted permission by the Christie estate to write these mysteries (the first was The Monogram Murders). Poirot’s sidekick in the updated books is a police detective named Catchpool who doubts his own ability to solve crimes, especially when he compares himself to the great Poirot. Closed Casket is a cross between a cozy and a locked-room mystery, both subgenres Christie (still a best-selling author) excelled at. I marvel at the way Hannah is able to re-create Poirot – he’s still Christie’s but now he’s also Hannah’s. More, I admire how different these books are from Hannah’s police procedurals featuring  police detectives Simon Waterhouse and Charlie Zailer, which are more emotional and sometimes more difficult to comprehend as Hannah skips around, writing from multiple points of view. Comparing these two – The Monogram Murders and Closed Casket – I’d say the first was a little better, the crime a little more sophisticated, and Poirot a more central character, but both are enjoyable. I gave it four stars: Poirot is back.

Mayday by Karen Harrington (Juvenile, Fiction)
I keep trying to find a reason why I shouldn’t nominate this book for my local library association’s Mock Newbery Awards. Or maybe it’s the other way around: I’m trying to find a reason why I should. I gave this middle-grade novel five stars. I loved the protagonist and the journey he goes on to reconcile his sense of self with the important male figures in his life – from his deadbeat dad, to his stern grandfather, to his heroic uncle, and then, to his mom’s new boyfriend.  Both literally and figuratively, Wayne Kovak must find his voice (his vocal chords are injured in a plane crash) and must discover the person he is meant to be.  I guess what’s holding me back is the Newbery criteria that the book be distinguished. Is it? Is it marked by eminence and distinction? I’m not sure, but I think it comes close.

Booked by Kwame Alexander (Juvenile, Fiction)
Booked is Alexander’s second novel in verse for tween-to-teen readers. His first, The Crossover, won the 2015 Newbery Award, and it’s better than Booked. The story lines are a bit similar … sports figure heavily as do family problems. But I think the plot and the conflict in the first is just a little better thought out and construed. The parent problems in Booked almost come out of left field (this is a soccer book, but I don’t know any comparable term from soccer), while you can anticipate what might happen in The Crossover. Perhaps it’s not fair to compare one to the other, but they are similar so it’s difficult not to. I gave it four stars, but would recommend The Crossover to kids first. It’s just better. (I know I said that already.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Beartown" by Fredrik Backman

I’m about to be overly effusive: I loved Beartown by Fredrik Backman and I think it is one of the best books I’ve ever read. (See Tangent 1.) I even love the cover. Backman lured us into his Swedish world of curmudgeons and the neighbors who love them with A Man Called Ove and his other novellas. But this isn’t A Man Called Ove . This book has a much larger scope. This feels like the book Backman has always wanted to write but had to wait to give to us until he developed an audience. You got it, bro. I will read whatever else you write in the future. This book more deeply develops his ideas about communities. It is also about parenthood and all the responsibilities that go along with it. It’s about family and best friends who are like family. It’s about belonging. It’s about sorrow and happiness. And there’s some hockey. (Tangent 2.) You will hate some of the parents (Kevin’s, William’s). You will love some of the teens (Amat, Maya, Ana, Benji, Bobo, Leo...). Be prepared

"The Fifth Season" by N.K. Jemisin

I’m a horrible blogger. Several times this past year, I thought I should just quit this. But I keep being drawn back. So, I’m going to do a little catching up and see how well I remember some of the books I read much earlier this year. Stay tuned. Today, however, I’m just going to write about one. I’ve been singing the praises of The Fifth Season all year even though I’m late to the party: It was published in 2015, and Jemisin is well-known as a gifted writer in the sci-fi and fantasy world. Since then, she has come out with the next two books in The Broken Earth trilogy and has won the Hugo Award three years running. No author has ever done that, let alone a black, female author. Back in 2015 she was the first African-American to win the Hugo for Best Novel. Actually, this year’s Hugos were dominated by women as female authors won in all the major categories. This is important. I’ve been noticing odd twitter posts lately about how women really don’t play video games or ar

"The Boy at the End of the World," by Greg van Eekhout

I’m very grateful for The Boy at the End of the World , by Greg Van Eekhout. It’s a good, though not outstanding, book. More important, it fills a gap: science fiction for 3 rd -5 th graders. Because at some point during the school year, a teacher will assign a science fiction book report and I will have a hard time recommending books. I grew up reading science fiction and fantasy. And we know how much I like dystopian fiction (a lot). I have no problem finding good science fiction books for teens. In fact, some of the other librarians are tired of me telling teens (regardless of the assignment), “You must read Feed . Everyone should.” Or “You have to read Ender’s Game . You'll love it.” But younger kids come into the library looking for science fiction and it feels like there’s nothing very good. Most of them balk at the length of The True Meaning of Smekday (by Adam Rex), no matter how hard I sell it. They shrug their shoulders at The City of Ember (Jean DuPrau), even when I