Skip to main content

September '16 Books, Part 1 of 4

I've decided to reinvent this blog once again by simply doing what I intended to do in the first place -- write about the books I read. So, here goes nothing...



Love and Friendship by Jane Austen (Adult, Fiction)
I didn’t know about the Jane Austen novella “Love and Friendship” until the release of the movie based on it earlier this year. The version I read was packaged with many other Austen writings, all considered “juvenilia,” i.e. things she wrote when she was young.  I read more than a few of the selections and the main piece. They lacked some polish, but demonstrated her growing wit. You can recognize character sketches that will be used later in her more famous novels. I really wouldn’t recommend this to anyone but the most ardent Austen fan. I thought I was one, but I felt myself drifting too often when reading some parts of the book (three collections of juvenilia in one binding). Still, I gave it four stars on GoodReads because the stars because four stars means you like it very much. And I did.

Soul Survivor: The Reincarnation of a World War II Fighter Pilot by Andrea Leininger (Adult, Non-fiction)
A co-worker who believes in reincarnation gave this to me to read. I am on the fence about reincarnation, and she believes in it wholeheartedly. I suppose it could happen. And I have read other cases (mostly from Indian families) that seem eerie. It’s said that memories of your past life come to the surface in your new life when you are a very young child and the old life is still fresh. I know a young girl who was afraid of men early in her life, and I often thought, well, maybe something bad happened to her in her past life. But then again, maybe not.  Unfortunately, this book did nothing to convince me one way or the other. It tells the story of a young boy who remembers being a World War II pilot. The events and people and airplane mechanics he remembers are backed up by real life, if we are to believe the parents. And that’s where the problem lies: The book suffers from the way his parents tell the story. At some points it becomes more about them and their religious beliefs than about what their son remembers. I wish the book were slightly shorter and focused solely on the child and the veterans he meets. I gave it three stars.

The Winter Girl by Matt Marinovich (Adult, Fiction, Thriller (but not really))
Boy, am I sorry I read this. It was just a little too far-fetched. And, worse, poorly plotted. Not a single character is likeable, everybody lies, and the ending comes out of left field. A young couple moves out the Hamptons in the winter months to help care for the wife’s father. But something is not right. The dad is a sadistic monster who raped his daughter or daughters. I’m not even sure. And the ending is a black hole to me. I gave it two stars because I would have felt bad giving it only one.

The Lost and Found by Katrina Leno (Young Adult, Fiction)
I judge most YA books on whether the characters and situations are believable (to me). I dislike books with teens who are wise beyond their years and I detest too much angst. This book avoids those problems. And it’s able to be funny, believable, and endearing all while adding magic realism. Two teens (Louis in California and Frannie in Maryland) met on an online forum for trauma victims when they were very little and have maintained pen-pal status for years. When they both find a reason to make trips to Austin, Texas, to resolve some problems, they decide to meet there.  Happily for all of us, they are even better friends in person and maybe even something more. And it’s lovely. They do not have sex. They do not die. Nothing awful happens to anyone (all the awful stuff already happened). Frannie and Louis are well-developed characters and their traveling companions – Frannie’s cousin Arrow and Louis’s sister Willa -- are more than just bit players and stereotypes. Willa’s story is especially important and nicely rendered (but I would have liked to read more about Arrow). The book probably would work even without the magic realism, though that’s what gives the book its title and secondary meaning (both Frannie and Louis have always lost things and during the course of the road trips they magically find items that belong to the other person – items that in no way could have traveled across the country).  Finally, hooray!, there’s not a single Manic Pixie Dream Girl to be found. I gave it four stars.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Fifth Season" by N.K. Jemisin

I’m a horrible blogger. Several times this past year, I thought I should just quit this. But I keep being drawn back. So, I’m going to do a little catching up and see how well I remember some of the books I read much earlier this year. Stay tuned. Today, however, I’m just going to write about one. I’ve been singing the praises of The Fifth Season all year even though I’m late to the party: It was published in 2015, and Jemisin is well-known as a gifted writer in the sci-fi and fantasy world. Since then, she has come out with the next two books in The Broken Earth trilogy and has won the Hugo Award three years running. No author has ever done that, let alone a black, female author. Back in 2015 she was the first African-American to win the Hugo for Best Novel. Actually, this year’s Hugos were dominated by women as female authors won in all the major categories. This is important. I’ve been noticing odd twitter posts lately about how women really don’t play video games or ar

"Beartown" by Fredrik Backman

I’m about to be overly effusive: I loved Beartown by Fredrik Backman and I think it is one of the best books I’ve ever read. (See Tangent 1.) I even love the cover. Backman lured us into his Swedish world of curmudgeons and the neighbors who love them with A Man Called Ove and his other novellas. But this isn’t A Man Called Ove . This book has a much larger scope. This feels like the book Backman has always wanted to write but had to wait to give to us until he developed an audience. You got it, bro. I will read whatever else you write in the future. This book more deeply develops his ideas about communities. It is also about parenthood and all the responsibilities that go along with it. It’s about family and best friends who are like family. It’s about belonging. It’s about sorrow and happiness. And there’s some hockey. (Tangent 2.) You will hate some of the parents (Kevin’s, William’s). You will love some of the teens (Amat, Maya, Ana, Benji, Bobo, Leo...). Be prepared

"The Boy at the End of the World," by Greg van Eekhout

I’m very grateful for The Boy at the End of the World , by Greg Van Eekhout. It’s a good, though not outstanding, book. More important, it fills a gap: science fiction for 3 rd -5 th graders. Because at some point during the school year, a teacher will assign a science fiction book report and I will have a hard time recommending books. I grew up reading science fiction and fantasy. And we know how much I like dystopian fiction (a lot). I have no problem finding good science fiction books for teens. In fact, some of the other librarians are tired of me telling teens (regardless of the assignment), “You must read Feed . Everyone should.” Or “You have to read Ender’s Game . You'll love it.” But younger kids come into the library looking for science fiction and it feels like there’s nothing very good. Most of them balk at the length of The True Meaning of Smekday (by Adam Rex), no matter how hard I sell it. They shrug their shoulders at The City of Ember (Jean DuPrau), even when I