Skip to main content

September '16 Books Part 2 of 4



The League of Beastly Dreadfuls by Holly Grant (Juvenile, Fiction)
This is the first book in a planned series and I remember very little about it – not a good sign. A young girl is kidnapped because of special abilities she might have and there is some shape changing involved. I think. The special abilities part isn’t really clear yet. It’s not a scary story in any way, even with the kidnapping, and, if I remember correctly, there’s lots of humor. But it’s not a very good story. I’m always hopeful that I will find a new fantasy series that I love; this one wasn’t it. I gave it three stars because I did like the two main children characters, but I won’t read the rest of the series.

The Dogs of Littlefield by Suzanne Berne (Adult, Fiction)
Someone is killing the dogs in a quaint Massachusetts town where everybody knows your name and nearly everyone has a dog. This novel is billed as a “comedy of manners,” so one might imagine that it’s a tale Jane Austen would write if she were alive today. But I think Austen would have made it funnier. And given us a plot.  Instead, the novel takes a “year in the life” approach to the town. Most of the inhabitants are sad and discontented. And so the novel becomes just a sad commentary on life today. I wanted more. I gave it just three stars. (Note that the dog-death total actually is small, but even one dog death is too many.)

Leave Me by Gayle Forman (Adult, Fiction)
Leave Me may be a difficult novel for some. It was for me.* Maribeth, a young harried wife and mother, has a heart attack, though she’s so busy she doesn’t even realize it. While recuperating she comes to feel that she’s not appreciated or helped enough, so she leaves her family. She winds up being pulled, in a sense, to Pittsburgh, where she tries to piece together parts of her life that have been missing. Forman is a well-known young adult writer (I loved her novel If I Stay) and actually a very good writer period. This story has an interesting plot, though it does feel slow-moving at times, realistic characters, and a mostly satisfying ending. I gave it four stars. *I had a hard time with a mom leaving her child.

Ghosts by Raina Telgemeier (Juvenile, Fiction, Graphic Novel)
The fun thing about many juvenile graphic novels is you can read them in an hour or so. I read Ghosts one afternoon then gave it to my niece to read and she read it that evening. No overdue books for us!  In this heartfelt story, a family moves to a coastal town in northern California where the clean salt air will be better for their young daughter Maya, who is suffering from cystic fibrosis. Older sister Cat is upset about the move and doesn’t adapt well at first. It doesn’t help that the town is really into celebrating The Day of the Dead and Cat is afraid of ghosts (and of losing her sister, something she can’t bear to think about). By the end of the story, though, Cat not only befriends many non-scary ghosts but also comes to better terms with her sister’s disease. I enjoy everything Telgemeier writes, but only gave this four stars because the story made it seem like Maya was at death’s door (she even meets a young ghost who tells her dying isn’t so bad!). I think the lifespan for cystic fibrosis is closer to 40 or 50 years, rather than 10, and losing one’s sister won’t be as easy as the ghosts make it seem. I’m probably being too picky.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Beartown" by Fredrik Backman

I’m about to be overly effusive: I loved Beartown by Fredrik Backman and I think it is one of the best books I’ve ever read. (See Tangent 1.) I even love the cover. Backman lured us into his Swedish world of curmudgeons and the neighbors who love them with A Man Called Ove and his other novellas. But this isn’t A Man Called Ove . This book has a much larger scope. This feels like the book Backman has always wanted to write but had to wait to give to us until he developed an audience. You got it, bro. I will read whatever else you write in the future. This book more deeply develops his ideas about communities. It is also about parenthood and all the responsibilities that go along with it. It’s about family and best friends who are like family. It’s about belonging. It’s about sorrow and happiness. And there’s some hockey. (Tangent 2.) You will hate some of the parents (Kevin’s, William’s). You will love some of the teens (Amat, Maya, Ana, Benji, Bobo, Leo...). Be prepared

"The Fifth Season" by N.K. Jemisin

I’m a horrible blogger. Several times this past year, I thought I should just quit this. But I keep being drawn back. So, I’m going to do a little catching up and see how well I remember some of the books I read much earlier this year. Stay tuned. Today, however, I’m just going to write about one. I’ve been singing the praises of The Fifth Season all year even though I’m late to the party: It was published in 2015, and Jemisin is well-known as a gifted writer in the sci-fi and fantasy world. Since then, she has come out with the next two books in The Broken Earth trilogy and has won the Hugo Award three years running. No author has ever done that, let alone a black, female author. Back in 2015 she was the first African-American to win the Hugo for Best Novel. Actually, this year’s Hugos were dominated by women as female authors won in all the major categories. This is important. I’ve been noticing odd twitter posts lately about how women really don’t play video games or ar

"The Boy at the End of the World," by Greg van Eekhout

I’m very grateful for The Boy at the End of the World , by Greg Van Eekhout. It’s a good, though not outstanding, book. More important, it fills a gap: science fiction for 3 rd -5 th graders. Because at some point during the school year, a teacher will assign a science fiction book report and I will have a hard time recommending books. I grew up reading science fiction and fantasy. And we know how much I like dystopian fiction (a lot). I have no problem finding good science fiction books for teens. In fact, some of the other librarians are tired of me telling teens (regardless of the assignment), “You must read Feed . Everyone should.” Or “You have to read Ender’s Game . You'll love it.” But younger kids come into the library looking for science fiction and it feels like there’s nothing very good. Most of them balk at the length of The True Meaning of Smekday (by Adam Rex), no matter how hard I sell it. They shrug their shoulders at The City of Ember (Jean DuPrau), even when I