Skip to main content

A List of My Own



It’s December and that means book lists – best books of the year, best gift books, Oprah’s favorite books, books that may be up for awards, readers’ favorites, and on and on. It also means librarians, especially those who care about Reader’s Advisory, may feel overwhelmed. I’m going to do my darnedest to look at these lists and not feel like I haven’t read enough this year. I’m going to read some of lists, remember some titles as good recommendations and not feel like I have to add to my seven-page books-to-read list. I will not do well on that last part.

Humble brag: I’ve read 126 books so far this year. (Look for me on Goodreads.) I expect to read at least three more. So, how can I be behind on all these book year-end lists? It’s because there are too damned many of them.

Let’s look at the NPR list, because it seems to me the most overwhelming and the most aspirational. It has a mix of fiction, non-fiction, young adult, children’s, and even picture books. But 374 BEST books of the year? Surely, you’re joking. I have read 13 (less than 4 percent?) of these and have 20 others on my list. Bully for me.

Across the pond, The Guardian has produced some thought-provoking lists by asking respected authors to name the best books.  Beware: If you’re interested in books, going to The Guardian’s website and its Books pages is like falling down Alice’s rabbit hole: There are far too many curiosities to look at and try to hold on to. As noted, the main Guardian list (which is in two parts) has authors selecting their favorite books. Then there are best art books, best music books, best “stocking filler” books (which includes “tomes for the coffee table” and leads one to wonder, how big are your stockings over there?), and so many more. My next day off, I may indulge in just reading all the links from the Guardian that pique my fancy.

My blogging has suffered this year through some family emergencies, extra work, and health issues. My knitting and crocheting have suffered too for the same reasons. And, unfortunately, I cannot knit and read at the same time (I’m not an audio book person. I’ve tried. I don’t like them). But I shall attempt – attempt! – to blog about some of my favorite books since the last time I blogged back in the spring. Of the 72 books I’ve read since them, I’m going to limit my quick and dirty reviews to just the 38 I gave 4 or 5 stars to. Seems fair and daunting enough. Today, my 5 star books (alpha by author).

Let the Dead Speak by Jane Casey
I’ve become a fan of Casey’s Maeve Kerrigan books because her detectives aren’t stupid in solving crimes and are very human in matters of the heart. The stories move along at a good pace and the writing is well-done. This particular mystery is a curious one (the body is missing), and Maeve does her utmost to get to the bottom of the case even when her colleagues are telling her she’s on the wrong track. There’s a lovely heart-breaking scene at the end (sounds like an oxymoron, but it isn’t).

We Have No Idea: A Guide to the Unknown Universe by Jorge Cham
I read science books because my sons are majoring in sciences in college and I’d like to keep up. (I can’t.) This one was an amusing read with silly jokes and illustrations and much of it went over my head. I’m just going to say it: I don’t understand most things about physics. Nevertheless, it’s a good read even if you just browse.

The Whole Art of Detection by Lyndsay Faye
Lyndsay Faye is magical: She can write in Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s voice. If you miss Sherlock or want to read some new Conon Doyle, pick up Faye’s book. You’ll be delighted.

Mischling by Affinity Konar
I have to admit that I didn’t realize how utterly evil Joseph Mengele was. Now, after reading this book – which tells of the story of twins Sasha and Pearl at Auschwitz and after the war as they attempt to find one another – I’m stunned. This book is sad and difficult to read, but Konar has does a remarkable job creating believable characters who are determined to survive.

The Thirst by Jo Nesbo
Ah, Harry Hole is back. And he’s facing a possible vampirist serial killer, his Rakel being seriously ill, and a desire to drink again. Nesbo is capable of writing gruesome stories that aren’t scary, redundantly bloody, or far-fetched. I think he’s one of the best writing in the police procedural field.

Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng
This book is getting a lot of praise in literary circles. And I did give it five stars because of how well-written it is: The characters are carefully drawn, the setting is familiar, and the truth that settles on each of the characters feels real. Recalling it now, I might drop half a star just because the artist character is a little too all-knowing.

Anything Is Possible by Elizabeth Strout
Quite possibly my favorite book of the year because of some of the same reasons I like Little Fires Everywhere. The characters are all true. They are believable and human. I also love the way each story in this book connects to the next story, providing a look at a small town as a whole

Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil deGrasse Tyson
This was another attempt for me to keep up with science. Tyson has a gifted way of explaining difficult (to me) concepts. Oh, sure… I couldn’t tell you what I learned (not really), but if I read it again, I could probably ace the test.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Fifth Season" by N.K. Jemisin

I’m a horrible blogger. Several times this past year, I thought I should just quit this. But I keep being drawn back. So, I’m going to do a little catching up and see how well I remember some of the books I read much earlier this year. Stay tuned. Today, however, I’m just going to write about one. I’ve been singing the praises of The Fifth Season all year even though I’m late to the party: It was published in 2015, and Jemisin is well-known as a gifted writer in the sci-fi and fantasy world. Since then, she has come out with the next two books in The Broken Earth trilogy and has won the Hugo Award three years running. No author has ever done that, let alone a black, female author. Back in 2015 she was the first African-American to win the Hugo for Best Novel. Actually, this year’s Hugos were dominated by women as female authors won in all the major categories. This is important. I’ve been noticing odd twitter posts lately about how women really don’t play video games or ar

"Beartown" by Fredrik Backman

I’m about to be overly effusive: I loved Beartown by Fredrik Backman and I think it is one of the best books I’ve ever read. (See Tangent 1.) I even love the cover. Backman lured us into his Swedish world of curmudgeons and the neighbors who love them with A Man Called Ove and his other novellas. But this isn’t A Man Called Ove . This book has a much larger scope. This feels like the book Backman has always wanted to write but had to wait to give to us until he developed an audience. You got it, bro. I will read whatever else you write in the future. This book more deeply develops his ideas about communities. It is also about parenthood and all the responsibilities that go along with it. It’s about family and best friends who are like family. It’s about belonging. It’s about sorrow and happiness. And there’s some hockey. (Tangent 2.) You will hate some of the parents (Kevin’s, William’s). You will love some of the teens (Amat, Maya, Ana, Benji, Bobo, Leo...). Be prepared

"The Boy at the End of the World," by Greg van Eekhout

I’m very grateful for The Boy at the End of the World , by Greg Van Eekhout. It’s a good, though not outstanding, book. More important, it fills a gap: science fiction for 3 rd -5 th graders. Because at some point during the school year, a teacher will assign a science fiction book report and I will have a hard time recommending books. I grew up reading science fiction and fantasy. And we know how much I like dystopian fiction (a lot). I have no problem finding good science fiction books for teens. In fact, some of the other librarians are tired of me telling teens (regardless of the assignment), “You must read Feed . Everyone should.” Or “You have to read Ender’s Game . You'll love it.” But younger kids come into the library looking for science fiction and it feels like there’s nothing very good. Most of them balk at the length of The True Meaning of Smekday (by Adam Rex), no matter how hard I sell it. They shrug their shoulders at The City of Ember (Jean DuPrau), even when I