Skip to main content

Read Alikes for a Muddled Mind



I read about 100 books a year. This is not a humble brag. Reading is an important part of my job--I want to be able to plan book clubs and recommend books to people of all ages in my library. But reading so many books sometimes causes plot lines to run together in my head. 

For instance, earlier this year, I kept confusing Absolutely Truly by Heather Vogel Frederick with The Secret Hum of a Daisy by Tracy Holzer

The former mostly concerns a young girl named Truly whose family has moved back to her mom’s small home town after her father was injured in the military. Truly makes friends fast and comes to love the small town in New Hampshire where they now live. When a mystery captures her attention, she learns more about the town and her mother’s family’s history there. There’s not a single sad note in this book. There are no dead moms. Truly’s family is busy and close-knit. There’s even some dancing. And the family runs a book store! What’s not to love?

In The Secret Hum of a Daisy, a young girl named Grace must go live with her grandmother in northern California after her mom suddenly dies. Grace has mixed feelings about this because she thought her mom hated her grandmother (the truth is a big more complicated, naturally). Driving the plot is a mysterious treasure hunt Grace undertakes: She thinks her dead mother is leaving her signs to follow. In following these “signs,” Grace, like Truly, learns more about the town and her family. This book has a little more sorrow than Absolutely Truly. But I liked them both and recommend both (albeit often to different kids).

More recently, I read two books that keep reminding me of one another. Ana of California by Andi Teran is a retelling of the Anne of Green Gables story. Ana has problems keeping her mouth shut and has run out of options regarding foster homes in Los Angeles. She’s nearly 16, so she’s close to emancipation, but even that doesn’t leave her many choices. She gets taken in by a brother and sister farmer in Northern California and learns to love the hard work of the farm, her caregivers, her new friends, and everything about her life. Central to the story is Ana’s artistic talents, which is probably why when I was reading The Education of Ivy Blake, by Ellen Airgood, I would think back to Ana.
Like Ana, Ivy keeps a sketch book with her at all times. Ivy is a sequel to Prairie Evers. In that story, Ivy gets taken in by the Evers family when Ivy’s mom leaves her. In this book, Ivy’s mom is back, but she’s an alcoholic and making really bad choices. Ivy tries to live with her, but in the end, her mother proves incapable of, well, being a mom. In this story Ivy somewhat benefits from the foster care system and from her ability to take care of herself (even though she’s merely 11-years-old). Of course, the problems with her mom and foster care slightly reminded me of One for the Murphys by Lynda Mullaly Hunt (great book! Read it!). And given the time, I probably could make a list of books featuring kids in foster care. 

Making connections between things (and people) is my magic ability. And it helps in this profession. So, even when books do run together in my head, I’m usually able to get them straight when it comes time to recommend a book. I actually recommend all seven of the books mentioned here. They feature strong female characters that have a great deal of heart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Fifth Season" by N.K. Jemisin

I’m a horrible blogger. Several times this past year, I thought I should just quit this. But I keep being drawn back. So, I’m going to do a little catching up and see how well I remember some of the books I read much earlier this year. Stay tuned. Today, however, I’m just going to write about one. I’ve been singing the praises of The Fifth Season all year even though I’m late to the party: It was published in 2015, and Jemisin is well-known as a gifted writer in the sci-fi and fantasy world. Since then, she has come out with the next two books in The Broken Earth trilogy and has won the Hugo Award three years running. No author has ever done that, let alone a black, female author. Back in 2015 she was the first African-American to win the Hugo for Best Novel. Actually, this year’s Hugos were dominated by women as female authors won in all the major categories. This is important. I’ve been noticing odd twitter posts lately about how women really don’t play video games or ar

"Beartown" by Fredrik Backman

I’m about to be overly effusive: I loved Beartown by Fredrik Backman and I think it is one of the best books I’ve ever read. (See Tangent 1.) I even love the cover. Backman lured us into his Swedish world of curmudgeons and the neighbors who love them with A Man Called Ove and his other novellas. But this isn’t A Man Called Ove . This book has a much larger scope. This feels like the book Backman has always wanted to write but had to wait to give to us until he developed an audience. You got it, bro. I will read whatever else you write in the future. This book more deeply develops his ideas about communities. It is also about parenthood and all the responsibilities that go along with it. It’s about family and best friends who are like family. It’s about belonging. It’s about sorrow and happiness. And there’s some hockey. (Tangent 2.) You will hate some of the parents (Kevin’s, William’s). You will love some of the teens (Amat, Maya, Ana, Benji, Bobo, Leo...). Be prepared

"The Boy at the End of the World," by Greg van Eekhout

I’m very grateful for The Boy at the End of the World , by Greg Van Eekhout. It’s a good, though not outstanding, book. More important, it fills a gap: science fiction for 3 rd -5 th graders. Because at some point during the school year, a teacher will assign a science fiction book report and I will have a hard time recommending books. I grew up reading science fiction and fantasy. And we know how much I like dystopian fiction (a lot). I have no problem finding good science fiction books for teens. In fact, some of the other librarians are tired of me telling teens (regardless of the assignment), “You must read Feed . Everyone should.” Or “You have to read Ender’s Game . You'll love it.” But younger kids come into the library looking for science fiction and it feels like there’s nothing very good. Most of them balk at the length of The True Meaning of Smekday (by Adam Rex), no matter how hard I sell it. They shrug their shoulders at The City of Ember (Jean DuPrau), even when I