Skip to main content

"The One and Only Ivan," by Katherine Applegate


Sometimes—but not always—I have a hard time with animals talking in books. It bugs me that the author thinks he knows what animals are thinking and what they would say if they spoke our language. And then I have long conversations with my cats about it.

So, I’m not 100 percent sure why I so much like The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate. The story is told entirely by Ivan, a silverback lowland gorilla, and it’s based on a true story. The true part: As a baby gorilla, Ivan and his sister were captured in the Congo and sent to the United States. His twin sister died en route. Ivan at first lived like a pet with a man and his wife, then became an attraction at a mall until he was rescued and brought to Zoo Atlanta (he was even featured in National Geographic). In the book, Ivan has suppressed his memories of being in the jungle and even of being a pet. He’s made himself adapt to his circumstances and his glass-walled and concrete “domain.” Then Stella the elephant, one of his best friends at the mall, dies (from years of neglect) and he must find a way to rescue himself and Ruby, a baby elephant, from their prison.

Early on in the book, Ivan tells us that it’s his job as a silverback male to protect his troop. He doesn’t waste words or pound on his chest for no reason at all--not like humans do. But Ivan realizes, once he has to get Ruby out of the mall and to a zoo, that he’s not the mighty gorilla he thinks he is. Still, he comes up with a plan, one that I won’t give away, except to say that Ivan (in the book and in real life) is an artist. And his plan works.

I think kids (7 and up) will love this book. Ivan is a hero who slowly finds courage. He is a kind soul who risks everything for a promise he made. And he is a gorilla who finds a home, at last, with his own kind.

I’ve read two other books in recent months that featured talking animals. I recommend you pass on Waiting for the Magic by Patricia MacLachlan. I can’t get behind dogs spouting words of wisdom and people who believe being able to hear what they say. It’s cloying. That’s not even me being cynical. OK, maybe it is me being cynical, but the talking dogs in this book don’t work for me. Nor does the story. And I believe in magic.

The Midnight Zoo by Sonya Hartnett is very different. Two young Romany boys and their infant sister stumble upon an abandoned zoo after running from Nazis who have just killed their extended family. Each of the animals at the zoo tells a story about his or her life, and Hartnett gives each animal a distinct voice. Sadly, the animals and the young Romany children are hungry and have no one to care for them. Their fate is unknown. It is a tale about war and its victims. The book very much reminded me of Life of Pi by Yann Martel (haven’t read that yet? you should) in both tone and imagery.

Read: The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate
Consider: The Midnight Zoo by Sonya Hartnett
Pass: Waiting for the Magic by Patricia MacLachlan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Fifth Season" by N.K. Jemisin

I’m a horrible blogger. Several times this past year, I thought I should just quit this. But I keep being drawn back. So, I’m going to do a little catching up and see how well I remember some of the books I read much earlier this year. Stay tuned. Today, however, I’m just going to write about one. I’ve been singing the praises of The Fifth Season all year even though I’m late to the party: It was published in 2015, and Jemisin is well-known as a gifted writer in the sci-fi and fantasy world. Since then, she has come out with the next two books in The Broken Earth trilogy and has won the Hugo Award three years running. No author has ever done that, let alone a black, female author. Back in 2015 she was the first African-American to win the Hugo for Best Novel. Actually, this year’s Hugos were dominated by women as female authors won in all the major categories. This is important. I’ve been noticing odd twitter posts lately about how women really don’t play video games or ar

"Beartown" by Fredrik Backman

I’m about to be overly effusive: I loved Beartown by Fredrik Backman and I think it is one of the best books I’ve ever read. (See Tangent 1.) I even love the cover. Backman lured us into his Swedish world of curmudgeons and the neighbors who love them with A Man Called Ove and his other novellas. But this isn’t A Man Called Ove . This book has a much larger scope. This feels like the book Backman has always wanted to write but had to wait to give to us until he developed an audience. You got it, bro. I will read whatever else you write in the future. This book more deeply develops his ideas about communities. It is also about parenthood and all the responsibilities that go along with it. It’s about family and best friends who are like family. It’s about belonging. It’s about sorrow and happiness. And there’s some hockey. (Tangent 2.) You will hate some of the parents (Kevin’s, William’s). You will love some of the teens (Amat, Maya, Ana, Benji, Bobo, Leo...). Be prepared

"The Boy at the End of the World," by Greg van Eekhout

I’m very grateful for The Boy at the End of the World , by Greg Van Eekhout. It’s a good, though not outstanding, book. More important, it fills a gap: science fiction for 3 rd -5 th graders. Because at some point during the school year, a teacher will assign a science fiction book report and I will have a hard time recommending books. I grew up reading science fiction and fantasy. And we know how much I like dystopian fiction (a lot). I have no problem finding good science fiction books for teens. In fact, some of the other librarians are tired of me telling teens (regardless of the assignment), “You must read Feed . Everyone should.” Or “You have to read Ender’s Game . You'll love it.” But younger kids come into the library looking for science fiction and it feels like there’s nothing very good. Most of them balk at the length of The True Meaning of Smekday (by Adam Rex), no matter how hard I sell it. They shrug their shoulders at The City of Ember (Jean DuPrau), even when I