Skip to main content

"Paperboy" by Vince Vawter



I was hoping Paperboy by Vince Vawter would be in Newbery contender when I first saw the book and ordered it for my library. And I gave it four stars on Goodreads because I liked it. But I didn’t love it. I think too much is packed into a little book and not enough gets fleshed out.

The plot is built around a boy who stutters and who is taking over his friend’s paper route for the month of July. Along the way, he meets many people who help him grow – Mr. Spiro, who treats him as an equal; Mrs. Worthington, a beautiful lush; TV boy, who spends hours glued to the television set, among others. But the conflict in the book is confusing: Is it his stuttering? Is it what happens with his knife? Is it his relationship to his parents? It's just not clear. Additionally, kids aren't going to get that his mom is poorly educated but married well. And kids may not understand his discovery of being illegitimate. What kids will see instead that his mom doesn’t pay that much attention to him, he’s primarily raised by his nanny, and his dad seems like a good guy.

There's also the problem that this book is set in 1959, but I that’s not clear at all. Yes, there’s a distinct lack of electronic technology and many mentions of baseball players, but unless you know when Ryne Duren played (I don’t), you might know what year it is. There are one or two sentences at the end about desegregation, but they seem kind of tacked on.

Yet, despite all of that, I did like the book. Go figure. The paperboy (who doesn’t reveal his own name until the end of the book) is a likable kid and readers will appreciate his story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harry vs. Septimus

Sometimes, I like the Septimus Heap series more than the Harry Potter series. There I said it. It’s a secret I’ve kept from all but my kids for a long time. Don’t get me wrong: I’m wild about Harry. I’ve knitted Harry Potter bookmarks (in Gryffindor colors, naturally). I’ve thrown at least two Harry Potter-themed birthday parties, complete with a sorting hat I made. I’ve stood at line overnight at Barnes and Noble waiting for the next book to come out three times. I read Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire  in one day. But, often, I like Angie Sage’s Septimus Heap books ( Magyk , Flyte , Physik , Queste , Syren , and the just published Darke ) more. And I’m not entirely sure why. My current theory is that the Septimus Heap books are better written and, while also highly derivative, much more charming. The characters are human (muggles, even) and fraught with faults. Also, the Harry Potter books are, rightly so, about Harry. Everything is from Harry’s perspective. Sadly, we don...

The Little Things

I’m not perfect. I’m certainly not a perfectionist. I don’t even have any OCD tendencies (I’ve taken quizzes!). But, as a former copy editor, I do tend to correct mistakes (especially when watching television). It’s a habit. I bring this up because I’ve been bothered by things I’ve read in two books I recently had the opportunity to review. They’re somewhat little things, but I think someone should have checked on them. Like I said, I’m a former copy editor. It was part of my job to check things. But my personality is also such that I’m not always very assertive (luckily, I worked with very, very talented writers and editors who made my job easier). A story that still bothers me: My boss had written the phrase “a tough road to hoe” in one of his columns. I knew it was “row to hoe,” but I figured, he’s the boss, maybe he wants to use “road” because he was talking about paths we take. I wasn’t really brave enough to ask the boss if he knew he had gotten it wrong. Silly on my par...

“I Am Number Four,” by Pittacus Lore

I really wanted to read I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore after I read a review of it a few months ago. I remember the reviewer saying that the author’s name is obviously a pseudonym, then just filed the title away. (I actually have a “book book” – a little book in which I write titles of books I want to read, organized by author. My kids tease me about my book book, but when you’re a motherboard with limited RAM, you need to write things down.) More recently I heard that it’s already been made into a “major motion picture” (due out in February!), so I knew I had to read it soon. And it was OK. The idea – aliens living among us, waiting to get strong enough to go back to rescue their home planet from horrible monsters who now might be coming to conquer Earth – was rather interesting. But the book was just OK. I liked it enough to keep reading it, but probably not enough to bother with the sequels. It’s certainly not as good as Suzanne Collins’ Hunger Games trilogy, which is also...