Skip to main content

"Origin," by Jessica Khoury

Jessica Khoury’s Origin, which has gotten good reviews from journals like Kirkus, is a great gateway book. And by this I mean that it can lead librarians and teens, or teachers and teens, to a host of other books and start great discussions.

I mean no disrespect to Ms. Khoury when I say that I was reminded of several other books while reading Origin. This is not to say the story is not, excuse the word, original. In some ways, it is. But it also has a little of Flowers for Algernon (by Daniel Keyes) and The House of the Scorpion (by Nancy Farmer) in it. There’s even a Romeo and Juliet-like scene near the end, and there’s a sequence of native Amazonians dancing that reminded me of Peter Pan visiting Tiger Lily’s camp (I’m sorry to say).

Origin tells the story of Pia, an immortal girl. She was created through years of genetic research and lives deep in the Amazon forest, where scientists working for the Corpus conglomerate have kept her hidden (and imprisoned). Pia longs for the day when she can become one of the scientists and make more immortals like her, so she won’t have to be alone. But her life begins to change around her 17th birthday: Pia wants to know more about the outside world, and when given the chance to taste some of it one night, she does.

The story pits the evil Corpus and its immoral scientists again a tribe of natives, who also know the secret of immortality. Khoury deftly knits together their mythology and the science in a way that makes sense. The book is a page-turner, and it builds to an exciting climax (one perfectly tailored for the movies; it has already been optioned).

I don’t love many YA novels, so I was glad to like this one. Oh, sure, the male protagonist is a bit idealized, and the Ai’oans are extremely noble and wise (are the members of native tribes ever not noble and wise?), but as Kirkus points out, at least there are no vampires or zombies involved. I can easily see book groups pairing Origin with Flowers for Algernon, The House of the Scorpion, and/or Never Let Me Go (by Kazuo Ishiguro) to discuss the ethics of genetic engineering, cloning, and other medical issues.

(By the way, I believe Khoury was aware of the similarities to Flowers for Algernon, because, well, Roosevelt, the immortal rat in Origin, dies, and we know what happens to Algernon. And one of the major baddies in Origin is named Strauss, and there’s a scientist named Strass in Algernon.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harry vs. Septimus

Sometimes, I like the Septimus Heap series more than the Harry Potter series. There I said it. It’s a secret I’ve kept from all but my kids for a long time. Don’t get me wrong: I’m wild about Harry. I’ve knitted Harry Potter bookmarks (in Gryffindor colors, naturally). I’ve thrown at least two Harry Potter-themed birthday parties, complete with a sorting hat I made. I’ve stood at line overnight at Barnes and Noble waiting for the next book to come out three times. I read Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire  in one day. But, often, I like Angie Sage’s Septimus Heap books ( Magyk , Flyte , Physik , Queste , Syren , and the just published Darke ) more. And I’m not entirely sure why. My current theory is that the Septimus Heap books are better written and, while also highly derivative, much more charming. The characters are human (muggles, even) and fraught with faults. Also, the Harry Potter books are, rightly so, about Harry. Everything is from Harry’s perspective. Sadly, we don...

The Little Things

I’m not perfect. I’m certainly not a perfectionist. I don’t even have any OCD tendencies (I’ve taken quizzes!). But, as a former copy editor, I do tend to correct mistakes (especially when watching television). It’s a habit. I bring this up because I’ve been bothered by things I’ve read in two books I recently had the opportunity to review. They’re somewhat little things, but I think someone should have checked on them. Like I said, I’m a former copy editor. It was part of my job to check things. But my personality is also such that I’m not always very assertive (luckily, I worked with very, very talented writers and editors who made my job easier). A story that still bothers me: My boss had written the phrase “a tough road to hoe” in one of his columns. I knew it was “row to hoe,” but I figured, he’s the boss, maybe he wants to use “road” because he was talking about paths we take. I wasn’t really brave enough to ask the boss if he knew he had gotten it wrong. Silly on my par...

“I Am Number Four,” by Pittacus Lore

I really wanted to read I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore after I read a review of it a few months ago. I remember the reviewer saying that the author’s name is obviously a pseudonym, then just filed the title away. (I actually have a “book book” – a little book in which I write titles of books I want to read, organized by author. My kids tease me about my book book, but when you’re a motherboard with limited RAM, you need to write things down.) More recently I heard that it’s already been made into a “major motion picture” (due out in February!), so I knew I had to read it soon. And it was OK. The idea – aliens living among us, waiting to get strong enough to go back to rescue their home planet from horrible monsters who now might be coming to conquer Earth – was rather interesting. But the book was just OK. I liked it enough to keep reading it, but probably not enough to bother with the sequels. It’s certainly not as good as Suzanne Collins’ Hunger Games trilogy, which is also...